Full Moon Ritual | 'Flower' Super Moon in Scorpio
Each month the night sky is filled with the luminous light of the full moon. Traditionally marking the end of the lunar cycle, it represents spiritual completion or climax. Which can be why things that have been bubbling away under the surface often come to a head at this time.
What does that mean for you? Well, think of it like this, since the new moon (roughly 2 weeks ago), you may have been noticing things that have been bugging you, or your habits and/or patterns have had you thinking you need to make some new ones that are more in alignment with where you want to go. Making a full moon a prime opportunity to release any low vibration thoughts, habits or toxic people to protect your peace.
Tonight's full moon is particularly special, as it's the last super moon of the year and it falls in the sign of Scorpio. It is often referred to as the flower moon. A name given to it by the indigenous Native American people, to mark the occasion of the frost subsiding across the lands and plants beginning to bloom. What makes it super? This is when the moon is at it's closest point to the earth, so it even looks huge! Appearing almost 15% lighter and 30% brighter than usual.
Scorpio's are known for having a sting in their tail, but this sign is much more than that. Think sensuality, desire, strength and independence. The crystals associated with this sign are rhodochrosite, citrine, smokey quartz, sodalite and amethyst. Each one helping in different ways to balance and elevate.
Scorpio's are often percieved as mysterious, but the sign governed by Pluto - the planet of death, transformation and power - highlights the darkness that dwells in each of us, the shadow side that is often not acknowledged. Tonight's moon is an opportunity to confront the parts of ourselves that we would rather remain hidden. This is where your true power lies. By doing this, you are allowing space for transformation to occur. The merging of your light and dark, known and unknown, conscious and unconscious. It is a powerful lesson in self-acceptance and the importance of rebirth. We are all constantly evolving and changing, like the budding blossom, change is a part of life.
Let it go
Forgiveness is a form of energetic release. Which means you have to power to liberate yourself from any energetic residue that may be limiting your spiritual growth or progression. That means forgiving them, but more importantly forgiving yourself. By letting go of low vibration feelings, you are giving yourself permission to hold space for that which is meant for you, serves you and fills you with light.
The energy of the full moon can be harnessed in a variety of ways; journalling, meditation, lighting a candle and saying all the things you wish to release, cleansing your body with sage or incense, or even just by having a sea salt bath. There are no limits. You can do any or all of the above.
How to do a full moon ritual
- Find a quiet place to be still and get comfortable.
- Cleanse your body and space with by either smudging sage or incense.
- Take 10 cleansing breaths to bring you into your body. Focusing on your breath tells your parasympathetic nervous system you are safe and you'll begin to feel the tension slipping away from your shoulders or face.
- Now, reflect on any negative thoughts, habit, behaviour you may have been exhibiting or thinking. Have you been unkind? Mean? Busy focusing on fear or lack?
- Write them down on a piece of paper.
- Imagine an enormous wave crashing over you and carrying all of these thing far out to sea.
- Say to yourself, "I am lighter, I am free, I trust and surrender to what the universe/divine has planned for me"
- If you need more of a visual aid, try burning the paper in a heatproof dish. This symbolises the words being released to the universe.
- Sit with any emotions that arise. It's ok. Acknowledge them, and if it helps, write for as long as you need to in your journal.
Let me know how you get on @embracebodyskincare, and if you found this useful. Also, don't worry if you weren't able to do this tonight, you can still do it over the next couple of days.